By Jo Campbell, Recruitment Consultant, Eden Ritchie Recruitment
Temporary and contracting roles can be an easy entry point into an organisation that you have been waiting to get into, the application process can be less complex and be so much FastERR! In some cases, you can be talking with one of our recruiters one day and starting your assignment the next.
Here are a few great reasons to consider temp or contract work for your next career move.
- Temporary work can allow you the flexibility to work around your planned holidays or time to follow your own personal pursuits, like study or family. You can control how much work you take on and when. This can be an enticing benefit and something that keeps people temping for long spans of time.
- A convenient way to fill a gap between permanent positions can be with a temporary role. It is easier to show a potential employer your willingness to take on a smaller assignment than to explain a break in employment. In addition, a smaller contract can really be a great way to earn income while deciding on your next role.
- Build your skills in areas that give you that competitive edge with temp work. It is a smart and focussed way to increase your set of experiences. You can build your resume across multiple roles and you will have a bank of demonstratable achievements to take into your next job interview. You will be able to show your next employer your initiative and drive and prove how adaptable and flexible you are.
- While on your temp assignment you will have the ability to make connections in an organisation or industry that may otherwise be difficult to break into. You can establish friendships, share information and ideas, demonstrate your skills to colleagues and learn from others. If you make an effort to interact and make contacts, while working in your temp assignment, you will open the door to more opportunities in the future.
- Temp work can see you earning a competitive salary, as you are being compensated for missing out on benefits like sick leave and holiday pay. However, if you work smart and your skills are in demand you can really profit from the increased pay rate.
- You get to try an industry, job or organisation before you lock in, making it easier to decide what your next career move may be. Successfully completing a temp assignment and leaving a good impression, will help you to be more easily placed on your next assignment and if you are a good fit for the organisation, your temp work may just turn into an offer of a permanent position.
Did you know that temporary roles or contracting work can cover everything from administrative work, to policy, project, accounting or IT?
If you are interested in becoming a contractor and taking on temporary work, the FastERR team at Eden Ritchie are here to help. Send your resume to jobs@fastERR and you’ve made your first move toward a rewarding next step.